This journal needs to be made into a Civil War magazine article… it’s that great, and there is nothing else that we know of that describes the prison in Columbia, South Carolina so well.  No doubt a museum or university library in South Carolina should own this!

Henry W. Camp enlisted as a 2nd Lieutenant in Company I of the 10th Connecticut Infantry in August of 1862.  He was taken prisoner in the battle of Battery Wagner on July 19th, 1863.  Along with the 10th Connecticut the famous 54th Massachusetts Black Regiment also fought.  Henry was imprisoned in what was known as the Richland Jail.  

On August 10th, 1863 Henry had sent his first journal home to his cousin Nellie. (We know that because in this letter Henry writes, “It was five months ago last Sunday that I finished my last journal to you.”)  She copiously copied the journal and sent it to Cousin Kate on November 24th, 1863.   Henry had some excitement occur between writing his first journal and the start of the second… he escapes! (In December 1863)  This second journal tells Nellie of that adventure.  

Henry was paroled on April 30th, 1864 and returned to his regiment.  Unfortunately, 6 months later he was killed in the fight before Richmond at Darbytown Road, Virginia, October 13th, 1864 after he had just been promoted to Major.  

Henry’s dear friend was Chaplain H. Clay Trumbull.  The Chaplain was so impressed with the life of Henry that after the war he wrote a biography about Henry entitled “The Knightly Soldier” 

This second journal is 16 legal size pages, copied by Henry’s cousin Nellie, just like the first journal.  Unfortunately 1/3 of page 13 broke off at the bottom fold and has been lost (also affecting the bottom of page 14).  HOWEVER, there is so much ORIGINAL facts and information about the Columbia Jail Prison and the STORY OF HIS ESCAPE, that an article could certainly be written.  

#L1-14-64 CT– Price $950

  • “The possibility of escape was a subject of thought and conversation among us, quite early in our imprisonment… I made up my mind to try the experiment just as soon as matters seemed right for it.”
  • “I was exceedingly restless and impatient.  Scarcely a day of which I did not spend more than one hour in thinking over the possibilities and probabilities of the attempt, and many a night did Capt. Payne (John A. Payne, Co. H, 2nd IN. Cav.), my bedfellow, and myself lie awake after others had gone to sleep and discuss the merits of various plans.”
  • “There were four of us who intended to go.  Not all together but two and two.  Lieut. Jordan (Elmer C. Jordan, Co. E, 7th CT. Inf.) and Acting Ensign Dayton of the Navy, Capt. Payne & myself.”
  • “Our plan was simple…  [Henry then goes into detail about their plan of escape]  The difficulties in our way were very great.  The chances for and against us we considered certainly no better than equal.”
  • “Our preparations for such a trip were of necessity few…  [Henry then goes into detail about what they will bring on this journey].”
  • “We had discussed with the other two the time of departure and understood that it was to be agreed upon by all four. Coming in from our half hour of exercise on Sunday afternoon, Dec. 13, we were therefore thunderstruck to find that Jordan & Dayton had remained outside.  A hay figure was stretched upon the bed in our room.  Another in that of the Navy and nearly all except ourselves already knew that they had taken the first step of an escape.”
  • “The Sergeant carelessly omitted to count us that evening.  The lay figure was not inspected and for the present they were safe… We drew long breaths of relief, and began forthwith to consider what should be done.  Unless some accident should betray the facts, we might still carry out our plan.”  
  • “After considering the subject until nearly noon, while I impatiently paced the floor, waiting for his decision, Capt. Payne finally determined not to run the risk.  He would remain.  But Capt. Chamberlain (Valentine B. Chamberlain, Co. A, 7th CT. Inf.) who had not previously intended to attempt an escape at once took his place.”
  •  “Two additional dummies or lay figures were to be made.  The first was a mere pile of blankets, but its position in the second story of our double tier bedstead protected it from close observation.  For the second, I borrowed a pair of pantaloons and for one foot found a cast off shoe.  The upper part of the figure was covered with a blanket and the face with a silk handkerchief.”
  •  “The day passed quietly without the slightest suspicion, and at 4 p.m. we went out as usual for exercise.  In order to run as little risk as possible with lay figures, only the two which represented Jordan & myself were left in plain sight.” 
  • “Entering the kitchen therefore a few minutes before our half hour had expired, I concealed myself in a snug corner before which two or three towels, a huge tin boiler & other convenient articles were so disposed as to render the shelter complete should so unusual an event occur as a visit from the guards at that hour.  Here… I received a running report of the course of events outside…”  
  • “It was but a few moments before the Corporal acting for the day as Sergeant was seen to enter the room to which all but the cooks and myself had returned.  It was Corporal Addison (Davison Addison), alias Bull Head, a lubberly English clodhopper, looking just like the men in the illustrations to Miss Hannah More’s stories.  Our confidence that all would go well was based in great measure upon his stupidity, and it was with greatly increased apprehensions that I heard that he was accompanied tonight by Capt. Senn (Rufus D. Senn).  Rather than pass the ordeal of a visit from him, had we anticipated it, we should probably have delayed our attempt another day.  Even at the risk of losing it altogether.  He opened the door & went in.  I waited anxiously for what would follow.  He seemed to stay longer than usual.  Was there something wrong?  Suspense lengthened the minutes but it was of no use to question those who could see.  While the door remained closed no more than myself.  Presently I was told that the door was open.  He was coming out.”
  • “There seemed to be no alarm.  He was stepping briskly toward the yard.  We breathed more freely.  A moment more and he was going back.  Evidently dissatisfied with something, he entered the room.  “It’s all up,” said my reporter.  I thought myself there was little doubt of it and prepared the moment any sign of alarm appeared to come from my retreat, preferring to leave it voluntarily rather than with the assistance of a file of men.  Too bad!  To be caught at the very outset without so much as whiff of the air of freedom to compensate for the results of defection.”  
  • “But no – Capt. Senn comes quietly out – walks leisurely through the hall – and his pipe is lit.  Best evidence in the world that all is tranquil.  His mind undisturbed by anything startling or unexpected.  But it was too soon to exalt.  Congratulations were cut short by sudden silence on the part of my friends.  I listened.  It was broken by a step on the threshold and the voice of the Capt. close beside me.  I didn’t hold my breath according to the established precedent in all such cases but I sat for a little while as still as I did the first time that ever my daguerreotype was taken.”
  • “Then cautiously moving my head I caught a view of the visitor as he stood scarcely more than at arm’s length from me.  He was merely on a tour of inspection asked a few unimportant questions of the cooks & after a brief call took his leave.  It was with more than mere physical relief that I stretched myself and took a new position in my somewhat cramped quarters.  Immediate danger was now over.  We had nothing more to fear until the cooks went in.”  
  • “Capt. C. and myself after perhaps an hour of quiet, set about what little was to be done before we were ready to leave the building… Capt. C. made the first attempt and discovered… the hole had to be enlarged by the tearing away of more bricks… patient labor at length made a sufficient opening and he passed through.  I handed to him the blankets, haversacks & shoes, and with some difficulty followed.”  
  • “The door of this second room had in it a small window through which we could watch the sentry outside… Capt. C. therefore stood guard to give notice of his approach while I reconnoitered outside to see whether there was any obstacle of our leaving the yard… while I was still stepping safely over loose chips & dry sticks the signal was given from within.  I must conceal myself…  I threw myself on the ground between a couple of the sleepers…  So quietly did I lie that the mice were playing about my head without the least fear.  When being notified that all was safe I rose again.”
  •  “At length we were ready to move… We were now in what had once been apparently the kitchen garden of the house at a little distance before us.  A fence with a small gate separated it from the rest of the premises.  On our left were the Negro quarters.  Keeping as much as possible in the shade and stopping repeatedly to look and listen, we moved forward through the gate into the yard beyond passing close to the house when all was dark & still & thence by the carriage gate which opened readily to the open street.  We felt that the most critical part of our night’s adventure was over.  Still we knew that the streets were patrolled.”  
  • “After the ringing of the evening bell & while the lateness of the hour lessened the chances of accidental meeting with citizens, it increased the danger of arrest, if noticed at all.  We were not far from the outskirts of the city.  None but dwelling houses bordered the street, and the first corner we turned on our way to the railroad….”  
  •  “Reaching the iron track we turned northward and were speedily out of the sight of houses fairly started upon our journey through the country.  I wish I could describe the sensation of pleasure that thrilled through every fiber of our frames with an exhilaration like that of wine.  After five months of confinement of constant and unavailing chafing under the galling consciousness of restraint and helplessness we could hardly realize that we were free, that we should not wait in the morning to find ourselves within the narrow jail bunks under the eyes and the orders of our old sentries.  To be again masters of our own acts was like being endowed with a new faculty.  We breathed deep and long.  We could have shouted with the excitement of each free step upon solid earth.  Each draught of free air under the open sky.  That first hour of liberty would alone have paid for all the hardships that we were to encounter.  I shall have pleasant memory of it as long as I live.”
  • “Before we had gone two miles, we came to what seemed to be a stream of some size, crossed by a trestle work bridge.  We must pass it by stepping from tie to tie.  It was difficult to see in the darkness.  How far beneath us the water flowed, but it was certainly at no inconsiderable depth and the light was none too strong to enable us to plant our footsteps with a feeling of security.  We supposed, however, that a short distance would place us again on solid ground and pushed on slowly and carefully.  We were disappointed.  Beyond the current of the stream was a wide marsh, stretching as far as we could see and across this lay our road.  It was many minutes of tedious traveling before we again reached firm footing.”
  •  “As morning drew near we were of course far more fatigued than by any ordinary eight hours of walking and had made much less progress than we hoped to make before daylight should make it necessary to take shelter in the woods… We hastened on therefore to reach it if possible before making our first halt.”
  •  “We looked at one another and were astonished at the haggard faces and weary forms which we saw…  How long we had slept when I woke, I could not tell but I was too thoroughly chilled to rest longer.”  
  • “I listened before I raised my head lest there might be some one near.  What was that crackling of the dry leaves at a little distance?  I closed my eyes again and lay still.  Surely those were cautious footsteps that seemed to draw near and halt and then retreat again.  Then all was quiet.  I woke Capt. C. and told him I feared we were discovered and perhaps at that moment watched.  Even if we were however, it was of no use to wait and we rose…  No sign of anyone’s having been there and after a few minutes we convinced ourselves that it was a false alarm..”  
  •  “There we made the first trial of our patent provisions.  The eggs with salt for seasoning were capital, but our stock was limited.  We allowed ourselves one each.  The bulk of our meal consisting of the rokeeg… A day or two later after it had been dampened and dried again, it was almost entirely tasteless and had no more relish or even food flavor than so much sawdust.”
  • “Rest and food had made new men of us… About 12 P.M. we found ourselves fairly brought to a standstill.  Open country before us with houses in sight & no way of getting through under cover.  We found an excellent shelter, well protected although near a road, lay down behind an old long neglected wood pile and slept again.  Woke, dined and waited for dark.”
  • “As soon as it was fairly dusk we started once more upon our course.  We soon reached a road upon which during the P. M. we had observed a rider moving along at some distance.  The first man we had seen since leaving jail.  We hesitated whether to follow this route or attempt to push through the woods in the dark.  We had not intended to venture upon the roads after the first night but considering the chance that our escape was still undiscovered and the difficulty of making any progress otherwise, we concluded to run the risk.  Exercising the utmost possible caution in reference to avoiding any who we might meet.”
  • “We had already grown somewhat less vigilant than at first in listening for sounds upon the road, when a noise like that of horse hoofs came to our ears.  We stopped…  Neither of us stirred an eyelid as the horse passed us…”
  • “It was not long before we again heard a sound like that of footsteps.  This time we were in season with our precautions and ensconced ourselves so snugly behind a huge log among some bushes that nothing but a careful search would have given us any apprehensions of detection…”  
  • “We kept on our way after this delay until about 11 p.m.  Seeing no one & making good progress as the mile stones and guide posts showed us towards Winnsboro, the first town of any size north of Columbia… We had traveled since we started the night before twenty five or thirty miles, though considerably less than that distance from Columbia by the shortest road.  It was exceedingly cold, and waking about 2 a.m. we found warmth more necessary than further rest.”
  • “Retaking the road after being somewhat disturbed while still in the woods, by the sound of a cart apparently passing through them but a few rods from where we stood, we kept on our way until daylight passing shortly before daylight a mill whose stream crossed the road with a shallow ford and coming almost immediately afterward to four corners where the guide post gave us again accurate information as to our position.”
  • “Here we turned aside to look for a resting place… I improved the time in cobbling up my shoes which were already beginning to give way, and would not have lasted me ten miles farther had I not in addition to my mending changed them right to left.  My feet were somewhat swollen though not painfully.  Capt. Chamberlain was unfortunate in having a pair of shoes too short for him & which though improved by slitting at the toe gave him pain at every step.”  
  • “About 11 a.m. we started again northward… We had noticed signs of approaching rain in the morning.  It was now rapidly clouding up.  We dreaded greatly a storm not only on account of its discomfort but for the difficulties which muddy roads & swollen streams would add to our journey and hoped against all appearances that it might yet clear away, until at 4 p.m. the first drops fell.” 
  • “The rain had not yet injured the walking and we made for a while rapid progress…
  • “It was not my first experience in of bivouacking under a winter’s storm.  Our North Carolina campaigns were in cold weather and some of the nights spent we thought at the time sufficiently hard but none of them compared with this.  Exercise supplied our joints somewhat but we had gained very little of strength or rest during our halt, and we made our way slowly along the road through mud deeper & more tenacious than it had been at midnight.  After a mile or two of this, we were glad to find another resting place, a fence corner, much like that we had left and here we rested until it began to grow light.”  
  • “Taking the path again we came before long to a large barn yard where one or two cows stood patiently waiting for the morning milking.  It seemed a pity that they should be compelled to wait longer for the lazy farmer whose duty it was to attend to them, the natural kindness of our dispositions prompted us at once to relieve them & save him from the disagreeable task which he was doubtless postponing this rainy morning later than usual.  With these benevolent motives, we began to climb the barnyard fence.  But alas for our hopes of warm milk!  Just at that moment the farmer vindicated his character for early rising by coming in sight, dimly visible through the mist from behind a neighboring building.  We did not wait to explain our intentions or to apologize for the injustice we had done him, but executed a prompt movement to the rear.  We could not now pass the barnyard & the building in its vicinity without danger of being seen.”   
  • “The rain had somewhat abated & was now a mere drizzle, but we were in no condition to travel, even had we, fair weather and a good road.  We were half tempted to seek the ford warmth & shelter… Should we build a fire?  It was a little dangerous, but so well sheltered was the place, so little would smoke show against the hazy sky above the treetops & so great was our need that we determined to have one.” 
  • “We had…  ten hours of sound sleep and woke to find the sun shining in our faces through the tree tops and clear sky overhead.  We were thoroughly rested and in good condition for travel…”  
  • “We had the same difficulty as before with avoiding houses.  The country through which we passed was not like the lower portion of the state owned by a few wealthy planters.  Each of whose plantations for a settlement by itself and besides whom there are no inhabitants except their slaves & a few poor whites, clay eaters, or corn crackers as they are called.  Here were numerous small farms and houses inhabited, judging from their appearance by men of moderate means, belonging to the middle classes of society.”  
  •  “Later as we were crossing a piece of open ground, not without much difficulty in keeping out of sight of a house nearby, a couple of Negro boys came over the top of a hill close at hand, driving cows before them.  Capt. C concealed himself effectually in a gully.  I thinking I had not time to reach it, lay down by the side of the fence, hoping to be passed unnoticed.  I was seen, however, at a little distance considerably to the terror of the smaller of the two boys whose companion seemed to be compelled to use some encouragement in order to get him by.  I feared that this very fact would ensure the report of a stranger’s lurking about the fields, being made as soon as they reached their cabin.” 
  • “We traveled briskly that night and had accomplished a good distance… My feet had been paining me all day quite seriously for the past few hours and removing my shoes, I found them much swollen and tender as if covered with stone bruises.  We had brought with us a little grease and the application of this relieved them considerably so that I was able to walk with less discomfort for the remainder of the day.  Capt. Chamberlain’s feet still troubled him as before, but not so as to disable him.”  
  • “As the night advanced the cold became severe.  The ground was frozen.  Exercise was insufficient to keep us warm, but we knew we must now be very near Pinckneyville and pushed on…”  
  • “Our morning wakings were the most cheerless moments of a day’s experience.  We woke without the sense of rest which came only after exercise brought us warmth, benumbed and shivering so that we could hardly roll our blankets or take the first few steps upon our journey…”  
  • “Our provisions held out well, though we had prudently reduced our allowance of eggs from 4 to 2 per day.  And we hoped to reach the mountains before they were exhausted.  And so soon after dark, we took the road again expecting that daylight would find us twenty miles farther upon our way.”  
  • “We had been walking an hour or two along an unfrequented road when a Negro arose, apparently from a fence corner & followed us at a distance of a few paces.  We slackened our gait to allow him to pass, but he preserved the same interval whether we moved fast or slow.  While we were still unsure as to the meaning of these proceedings, a horseman rode up in front making his appearance so suddenly that even in the absence of our unwelcome attendants we should hardly have had time to conceal ourselves.  He addressed us politely.  “Good evening gentlemen.”  “Good evening” replied Capt. Chamberlain.  “Where are you from?”  “Charleston” was the answer in accordance with a program we had previously discussed in view of the possibility of this very emergency’s arising.  We agreed in thinking that the obligations of truth as far at least as it would conflict with safety were suspended between enemies in time of war.  Our questioner continued.  “Soldiers?”  “Yes.”  “To what company do you belong?”  “Capt. Gillord’s.”  “When did you leave Charleston?”  “Three days ago.”  “What’s the news from there?”  “Everything much as usual.  Bombardment still going on.”  “Where are you going?”  “To Yorkville.”  He rode off at a gallop.  We looked at one another in dismay.  That he suspected us and would soon return we had no doubt, but there were no woods at hand, and if there had been, it would have been useless to enter them while dogged by our persevering follower.”  
  • “… It was evident from surrounding indications that we had come directly upon a village whose existence we had not suspected.  We had little time to consider, the sound of clattering hoofs came down the road behind us, and our former friend rode up with two companions.  A few more questions were asked.  A footman meantime coming up to join the party and the journey was at an end.  They were wise, waiting for us at the gate of a house a few hundred yards distant, reaching which we were politely invited to walk in and exhibit our papers with the assurance that they had authority for the request they made.  “Did we know anything of some Yankee officers who had recently escaped from Columbia?”  We told them they need trouble themselves no farther.  We were the men for whom they were looking.  Whereupon we were ushered into a comfortable room, introduced to the proprietor of the house, a Mr. McNeil, and given seats before the fire.  Then followed much questioning… “Where were the other three?” …We were quite willing to have them think that Jordan & Dayton were in the vicinity.  Denied once or twice any knowledge of their whereabouts…”  
  • “In the meantime the report of the capture of Yankee officers had spread like wildfire and men gathered in for a look at the strange sight until the room was nearly filled.  It was amusing to see the curiosity manifested and we felt specially complimented by a remark of Mr. McNeil’s little girl who had evidently been on the lookout for horns and hoofs.  Finding us apparently harmless, she ventured timidly to the other side of the fireplace and finally after some coaxing came across & stood shyly by my side while I told her of my little sister at home and astonished her with a small coin.  The only specie I will venture to say that had been seen for a long time in that part of the Confederacy.  She talked like most Southern children.  An unmitigated Negro dialect.  “What sort of men did you think Yankees were?” asked I.  “I didn’t think,” said she, “dey was dat good lookin.” 
  • “Finding that they could get from us no information as to Jordan & Dayton, they turned the conversation upon politics, and the whole question of the war was discussed with perfect freedom on both sides.  We talked with the utmost plainness & were listened to courteously, though with a good deal of surprise and some incredulity.  In the grave yard of this little hamlet too small to occupy a place upon the map were the bodies of 22 Confederate soldiers and there was hardly a man there but that either belonged to the Army or had a son or brother connected with it.”
  • “Our host, for we were treated rather as guests than as prisoners, was an elder of the Methodist church, a man of much intelligence and good sense….  They appreciated our desire for freedom & were by no means disposed to blame us for attempting escape.  Even our captors in their sympathy for us seemed almost to regret that their duty compelled them to put an end to our hopes of regaining liberty.”  
  • “After perhaps an hour of conversation came the welcome invitation to walk out to supper…  A most attractive sight it was to us after months of prison fare & a week of saw dust.”  
  •  “… We were assigned quarters for sleeping in the huge feather bed in the corner, while four men sat up through the night as guard.  Our couch was most luxurious & I was asleep before my head had been terminated upon the pillow.”
  • “For what reason I do not know, but it was not for some time after our capture, even after our return to Columbia, that the bitterness of disappointment came in its full force upon us.  After an excellent breakfast, preparations were made to take us to Chesterville, sixteen miles distant, the nearest place upon the railroad.  We were between sixty and seventy miles from Columbia, though we had traveled probably about one hundred to reach the place of our capture.”
  • Bottom of page 13 missing
  • “At length the jail was cleared and we were left to ourselves.  It was cold weather….  Our one blanket was quite insufficient to keep us warm…  Few hours since our capture have passed away as slowly & comfortably as did those of that afternoon… The inmates of the establishment being few, it seemed that the only upstairs apartment containing a fireplace was used at once as a store room & place of confinement for a Negro sent there for sale.  About dark we were ushered into it, a comfortable plastered room with a good fire blazing on the hearth & half full of sweet potatoes.  
  • “McDonnell, the jailer, and one of his neighbors, a physician, spent the evening with us.  The former was confident that if he could have a few days opportunity for discussion, he could turn us from the error of our ways and convince us of the justice of the Confederate cause.  We expressed some doubt on the subject, but he knew there was no question about it.  Just let him explain the case to us & we couldn’t help seeing that we were all wrong.”  
  • Bottom of page 14 missing
  • “In the afternoon Lieut. Belcher of the Columbia Post Guard arrived on the cars with a guide to escort us back.  The authorities there having been notified the day before of our recapture.  His nervous anxiety as to our safe keeping while we were in a third story room with strong locked door and grated windows and the uneasy & at the same time half ashamed way in which he hung about the jail premises until evening amused us & excited great disgust in the mind of the jailer who perhaps considered his own ability to prevent our escape called indirectly in question.”  
  • “About 8 o’clock p.m. the guard came to escort us to the R. R. depot.  Under the Lieut.’s supervision our elbows were firmly bound behind us with a rope, which also fastened us together… The ligature was not so tight as to be painful & our arms were sufficiently free to enable us to carry our books and a few other articles which we wished to take with us.  Among these we had a number of late newspapers, freely allowed us at Chesterville…  We had been amused to read the descriptions by which we had been advertised.” 
  • “After a tedious delay of an hour and a half, the train arrived & we took seats in front of our escort…  Capt. Chamberlain & myself contrived to sleep most of the night, notwithstanding the discomfort of our constrained positions.  Lieut. Belcher I will venture to say did not shut his eyes while we were under his charge.”
  • “… it was daylight before we had accomplished our sixty mile journey.  The depot, at which we left the cars, was nearly a mile from our final stopping place and we had, as we marched through the streets, a better opportunity to see Columbia than had hitherto been afforded us.  It is a pleasant city having many fine private residences in the suburbs… We passed near the State House, a white marble edifice in process of construction as it has been for some years past.  War times are not favorable to its progress, but it will be, if it is ever completed, a fine structure.  Fifteen or twenty minutes walk brought us to familiar places, there was the market house at which we had so often gazed from our barred windows.  The street though which we had passed in going for water, then the old jail upon which we had hoped never again to look.  We entered its door & our journeyings were at an end.”  
  • “We were ushered into a room which had been used for the confinement of conscripts, adjoining that which we had previously occupied.  Here we were unbound & left to ourselves.  The windows we found had been securely fastened down and the screws which had held the lock upon the door replaced with wrought nails, the heads filed down flush with the iron.”
  • “Capt. Senn soon called upon us.  He was in a state of considerable excitement.  Our escape he said had nearly ruined him, and he accused us of having abused the privileges which had been granted us.  We regretted having caused him inconvenience but the charge we of course most emphatically repelled.  Calming down he expressed much curiosity as Lieut. Belcher had done before & as both repeatedly did afterwards to know how we had contrived to escape.  He had counted us himself the night before and how we could have left the building between that time and the next morning he could not imagine.  The confidence with which he spoke of our presence at the evening count when we were snugly ensconced in the cook room was amusing enough, but we declined to enter into any explanations.  Capt. C. telling him that when he restored us to the companionship of our brother officers, we might perhaps be more communicative.”   
  • “Our separate confinement he put upon the ground that he considered us “dangerous characters” whose evil communications might so corrupt, the good names of our associates as to lead them into like transgression… There had been we learned much excitement when our escape was discovered.  Thinking it impossible that we could have gone the night preceding, the impression prevailed that we must have slipped through the opening found in the fence.  At the time when we were permitted to go to the hydrant in the morning & that we must therefore still be in the immediate vicinity.  At the door of the woodshed a man stood all day with watchful eye and loaded rifle waiting for us to stir from any possible hiding place about the building.  Houses of suspected Union sympathizers in the city were searched from garret to  cellar & our recapture before night was confidently expected.  Upon all roads leading into the country, mounted men were sent out too hastily in some instances to wait for their horses to be saddled that we might be intercepted if we attempted to leave town.”  
  • “New restrictions were placed upon those who were left behind and the hour hitherto given for outdoor exercise was taken away.  We entered our new quarters the 23rd of Dec., having been absent from Columbia a little more than eight days.  Our bed and other property were brought from the other room but we were entirely destitute of furniture… It was now we began to realize the disappointment of our failure.  Time drags wearily.  Release seemed more distant than ever before.  Yet there was not that torture of impatience which had before taken so complete possession of me.  There was no longer an untried possibility to mock me with hope.”
  • “We rejoined our companions after only eight days of seclusion and entered upon the year 1864 in circumstances almost precisely the same as those of the period preceding our escape.  The whole affair though resulting in failure was one which I by no means regret.  So far from considering the attempt rash or hopeless, I was, as you know on the point of repeating it a few days since and with excellent prospects I think of success.  It broke the monotony of my imprisonment with a week of stirring excitement, the exhilaration of freedom and activity amply repaid the accompanying hardships, and I have an experience upon which I shall always look back with pleasure in its contrast with the dreary months which preceded & followed it.”

Call Now ButtonCALL NOW